In the asian spice shop (i call it asian sky shop), today evening there was nothing except seema vankaya-telugu- (bangalore kathirkaya in Tamil, chow chow in Hindi). So, I bought it….
Also, from yesterday its Karthika masam (lunar calender month of Karthika), so we try and avoid onions in this month……So, I made seema vanakaya tomato curry and Here’s the recipe…Its very easy to make and it took me 15mins all in all :D….Try😀
Things You need :
- Chayote – 2 medium sized chopped into 1 inch cubes
- Tomatoes – 2 chopped into small cubes
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Green chillies – 3 cut diagonally
- Red chillies – 1
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander – for garnish
- Curry leaves – 6-7 for garnish
For Seasoning – Tiragamatha (Popu) or Tadka
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Chana dal -1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1/4 tsp
- Jeera (cumin seeds) – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
How to make:
- Wash , peel and chop the chayote into 1 inch cubes. You need not remove seeds if present.
- Wash and chop tomatoes into small size cubes.
- Take a pan and heat oil in it.
- To this add the popu (seasoning) and wait till mustard seeds pop
- Then add green chillies,red chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped chayote and cook under low heat for 5 mins . Add turmeric and salt and mix well while heating.
- Now add the tomatoes and cook for some more time with lid.
- Check if the chayote pieces are cooked and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice or roti . Yummy dish and healthy too😀