When I went to University, I found, most of my friends dont like it in curry, and I figured out that its coz of the sweetness it carries over….most people like curries to be hot! So this recipe is for those, who do not want the dominating sweet taste. Doing it with onions gives, the masala tint to curry even without adding much masala. So people , try this and i am sure u’ll love it🙂
What You Need?
- Ridge gourd – 3 medium sized
- Onion – 1 large
- green chillies – 3-5 medium sized
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander – to garnish
For Popu/Tadka –
- Urad dal [black gram]- 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal [yellow split lentils] – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera [cumin seeds] -1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 twig
How to make?
- finely chop the onion and green chillies and grind them with a pinch of salt added, into a paste. It need not be very smooth, I would suggest 1min in blender/mixie.
- Now, take a pan, heat oil in it.
- Add the popu/tadka ingridients…..one by one, starting with mustard seeds. Wait till they pop and the dals turn slight brown.
- Now add the paste we made before….on a low flame, cook for 3-4mins
- Now to this add the cut ridge gourd pieces and cook on low heat for 5mins with lid closed.
- Add salt, mix well.
- Garnish with coriander and lemon juice if you would like and serve hot with rice/roti.
Hope you like this….Its simple, easy to make and not so many ingridients!