Dondakaya Ullikaaram with masala appadam –
What You need :
Dondakayalu – Ivy gourd – 10
Oil – 4 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tbsp
Chana dal – 1/4th tbsp.
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
Onions – 2
Corinader – for garnish
Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Ginger Garlic paste (optional) – 1 tbsp
Salt – according to taste
For masala appadam
Tomatoes – 1
Cucumber – finely chopped
Pepper – 1/4th tbsp.
How to do:
1. Take the ivy gourds and split them (till 3/4ths) into 4 parts and set aside.
2. For stuffing, finely chop the onions and add chilli powder, salt, coriander powder, ginger garlic paste and cumin powder to the onions and slightly grind (not to make a paste) them with a mortor and a pestle.
4. Take the split vegetables and stuff the onion mixture into it.
5. In a pan , heat the oil , and add mustard seeds, cumin, urad and chana dal to make tadka.
6. Now add the stuffed vegetables along with any remaining onion stuffing mix and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Cook on a low flame with lid on for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally so that it gets evenly cooked.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves.
For masala appadam :
Its very easy…..fry the appadam in oil …..Make a mixture of finely chopped onions, tomotoes and cucumber with pepper , salt and chilly powder…..spread it on the appadam…as in picture…Acts a nice appetizer…
I tried it for first time and it came out well… ( my mom never heard of it it seems :p)