It was my birthday last friday…and so, I invited friends for dinner 🙂 I cooked hyderabadi vegetable biryani with aloo kurma 🙂 Today I am going to tell you biryani’s recipe 🙂 authentic !!
But before that, as a coincidence, I got the foodbuzz cards on my budday too 🙂 so gift u c , lucky I am and happy too!I also got best wishes and ecards from Blogging buddy Lubna 🙂 of Kitchen flavours 🙂
What you need?
Veggies : you can use as many varieties as you want…but I used these
- Potatoes – 3 small sized cut into big sized cubes
- Carrots – 1 small sized cut into big pieces
- Beans – 1/2 cup cit into big pieces
- Cauliflower – 1/2 cup cut into bite size florets
- peas – 1/4 cup
For the Biryani Masala :
- Cloves – 4-6
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Cardamom – 3-4
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Other Ingridients :
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Onions – 1 large one finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 1 large cubed
- Mint Leaves – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Onion – 1 small one sliced longitudinally
- Oil – 3-4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- ginger – 1/2 tsp
- garlic – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- red chillies – 2 or red chilli powder
- Saffron – a pinch if available.
How to do?
- Cook the rice adding 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice so that it doesnt get cook completely.
- Microwave or steam the veggies till they cooked till 75% . keep them in vegetable stock and add along with water.
- Add saffron with water and soak it.
- In a heavy bottommed and deep pan , heat oil and add ginger , garlic, green chillies , finely chopped onions and saute till onions are translucent.
- Now add the spices, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf and saute well….now mix in turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Add tomatoes now and saute well till fully cooked and become soft.
- Now add saffron, mint leaves, salt and microwaved/steamed veggies.
- Mix well and remember to do entire process in low heat.
- Seperate the mixture into 2 parts with one in the pan.
- Now add the rice and spread it on the half of the mixture…Over it, spread the remaining mixture , and spread rice just like before.
- But dont mix with rice, but cook it for 15 mins with closed lid. [take care that there is enough water].
- Meantime, fry or caramalize the sliced onions.
- Remove from heat, garnish with coriander and caramalized onions and serve hot with raita or kurma.
Cook and enjoy and tel me your comments 🙂